Namazu-users-en(old)

Bugging Perl may cause mknmz to bomb

This is a follow-up to "Re: Problem with Search Indexing List".

Snippet from private email:

>> What do you mean by "did not help"?  The problem still occured
>> *before* you did the 'make rebuild' command?
>>
>The first thing I tried was upgrading Perl to 5.6.1.  Then ran make
>configure and problem was still there.  Then I tried the make rebuild
>command and it indexed the list.  So, I don't know if it was a combination
>of the two or just the make rebuild command that really fixed my problem in
>the end there.

Well, the 'make configure' is irrelevant since it does not interact
with namazu at all.

Now, the upgrading to Perl 5.6.1 may definitely be relevant.  My
hunch is that 5.6.0 (and possibly other buggy versions of Perl) could
be the real cause of mknmz quietly bombing out.

IMO, it may not be worth taking the time to investigate, but if other
users report similiar problems, you may want to ask them what version
of Perl they are using to see if there is a pattern.  When I encountered
the problem, I was working on a foreign system and did not bother to
check it at the time.  I do know it was older than 5.6.1 since the
FindBin module had a bug corrected in later releases (including 5.6.1).

--ewh