[Namazu-users-en] Re: NMZ.w File too large

Earl Hood earl at earlhood.com
Wed Dec 13 01:50:19 JST 2006

On December 12, 2006 at 10:37, saptec at bfst.bund.de wrote:

> We are using Namazu 2.0.15 on SuSe Linux.
> Error from command namazu -d test:
> namazu(debug): /usr/local/var/namazu/index/NMZ.w: File too large
> Results:
> The size of NMZ.w is 2421356497.

2GB is a common maximum for file sizes, however linux should
should support sizes larger than that.

However, for sizes larger than 2GB, programs sometimes have to
use different system calls, and wrt perl, perl must be compiled
to support large file sizes.

Since namazu uses perl, this could be cause of the error.  Run
the following command:

  perl -V

And search for "uselargefiles" in the output to see if your perl
has been compiled with large file support.  If has not, you can
rebuild and reinstall perl with large-file support enabled.

Parts of namazu are written in C, so those parts could also be
a source of the error depending on how the code was written and
if support for large files was put in.  I do not recall if the
build process for namazu has an option for large-file support.

A possible work-around is to use split up your search index.  If the
files you are indexing can easily be indexed separately (e.g. files are
in different directories and easily divided into separate indexable
areas), you can create a separate search index for each area.
When doing a search, you can specify each index to search against.
Namazu suppports search against multiple indexes at a single time.

--ewh