[Namazu-users-en] Re: some queries failing (cgi)

Earl Hood earl at earlhood.com
Sat Jun 18 02:16:07 JST 2005

On June 16, 2005 at 22:25, "Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC" wrote:

> >> cputime         unlimited
> >> filesize        unlimited
> >> datasize        unlimited
> >> stacksize       8192 kbytes
> >> coredumpsize    0 kbytes
> >> memoryuse       unlimited
> >> vmemoryuse      unlimited
> >> descriptors     1024
> >> memorylocked    unlimited
> >> maxproc         7168
>
> The above limit command was done as the same user who is running the
> cgi as is the shell.  They are the same user.  This apache runs as
> user mailman and I did a "su - mailman" before I ran "limit" to get
> the above numbers.

You cannot absolutely state that the limits are the same, even if
the uid is the same.  You either need to examine Apache source and
mod_cgi to see how it deals with limits and invoke CGI programs.

I.e.  The shell and Apache are two different environments for
invoking a program, and each environment may invoke programs and
set limits differently.

One test that can be done is to write a C-based CGI program that
just outputs the effective limits (do _not_ invoke a shell callout
to get such information since the shell could modify these limits).
Do a 'man 3 getrlimit' for the C library calls for to use.

--ewh