[Namazu-users-en] Kakasi - Translation Problem

sunil kumar sunil_kkn at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Dec 8 19:45:58 JST 2004

Hi,
          I am Sunil, a software engineer working in India. I am working for Japanese customers. But unfortunately I don't know Japanese. In one project I need to translate japanese text in kanji, katakana or in hiragana to romaji. While browsing through internet, I found kakasi as a suitable software for it.

As per the instruction in one site, I have run the executable of kakasi as follows :

kakasi -s -U -Ja -Ha -Ka <kanji.txt> romaji.txt

and the kanji.txt contains ÈÕºô¤Ó.

Its translation in romaji must be nichiyobi. but the text file romaji.txt contains the data

RU SUI¡ªyu¡®JAKU#129;.

And for all translation, the romaji.txt contains RU SUI as the first characters. Couls you please explain why this hapens ?

Actually my requirement is to convert kanji characters and kana characters to romaji characters. Could you pls say the options that I need to add with kakasi.exe for this ?

Also the compilation of source file generates many errors. Could you please explain, what c and header files I need to run kakasi program ?  Also I need to tokenize the japanese text. I think kakasi tokenizing the japanese text before translation ?  Can you explain how ?

So please help me .

Thanks in advance,

Sunil