[English | Japanese]
Namazu: a Full-Text Search Engine
Namazu is a full-text search engine intended for easy
use. Not only does it work as a small or medium scale Web
search engine, but also as a personal search system for
email or other files.
(The Japanese word `Namazu' means `catfish' in English.)
Table of contents
- 2011-07-18: Namazu
- 2009-09-23: Namazu
- 2009-03-12: Namazu
- 2008-03-12: Namazu
- 2007-03-12: Namazu
- 2006-03-12: Namazu
- Security fix release.
Directory traversal problem
by lang and result of CGI parameter is corrected.
- Substitution of "-r" that doesn't correspond to ACL of NTFS.
- It corresponds to the file name including space.
- 2006-01-29: Namazu
- The mistake of the document concerning ISO-8859-* is corrected.
- RedHat software namazu.spec was taken in.
The unnecessary patch was deleted.
- Include File::MMagic 1.25.
- Support MeCab.
- Add -b and --use-mecab options for mknmz.
- Add --norc option for mknmz and namazu.
- Add --decode-base64 option for mknmz.
- Add new filters (Gnumeric, Koffice, Mainman/Pipermail, Zip, Visio).
- Add sorting function by date of field.
- Added new files (nmzcat, nmzegrep).
- For Windows of filter (msword.pl, excel.pl, powerpoint.pl,
- OLE control filter renewal.
- ';' can have been used for the delimiter of QUERY_STRING.
- Add the Perl version test program (pltests).
- Fix some bugs.
- 2005-11-19: The Trac site was opened
Trac is a integrated sotware with Wiki, Subversion repository
browser, and bug tracking system.
- 2004-12-15: Namazu
A website and mailing list search service were resumed.
karin.namazu.org compromise report.
CVS repository of namazu module was returned.
We are starting new mailing lists service.
The old subscribers ware not inherited in the new lists.
Check the disclaimer,
then if you can accept it, re-subscribe.
- 2004-05-27: karin.namazu.org
(it was provided web, ftp, mailing lists, and CVS) was cracked at
2004/05/23 02:00 JST. It was closed at 2004/05/25 02:49 JST.
- 2004-04-15: Released a redistributed
Removed some unnecessary files from namazu-2.0.13.tar.gz distribution.
There are no changes.
- 2004-04-14: Namazu
- Include File::MMagic 1.20.
- Add -X and --check-filesize options for mknmz text-processing.
- Add Polish translations. (Contributed by Kryzystof Drewicz.)
- Add German translations. (Contributed by Gerald Pfeifer.)
- Add new filters. (Ichitaro variants, OpenOffice.org, RTF, apachecache, MP3)
- Add new filter. (Macbinary)
- Adapt new filter programs (wvWare 0.7.4, xpdf 2.02 - 3.00)
- Add new directives for namazurc (SUICIDE_TIME, REGEX_SEARCH)
(to prevent possibility of remote DoS, reported by sheepman.)
- Add new directives for mknmzrc (HTML_ATTRIBUTES)
(This pattern specifies attribute of a HTML tag which should be searchable.)
- Change soname (LTVERSION 7:0:0, lib/libnmz.so.6 -> lib/libnmz.so.7)
- Support $WAKATI="module_mecab"; in mknmzrc. (experimental)
- Fix MacOSX compilation problem (getopt.c deviation from gengetopt-2.5)
- Fix some bugs and possibility of security hole.
- 2002-09-04: Released a patch file for German
namazu-2.0.12-de.diff. It was missed in the official release.
- 2002-09-03: Namazu
- 2000-03-17: Namazu 2.0.2 released!
- 2000-02-20: Namazu 2.0 released!
Brand-new version is released. Main new features are as follows:
- Index size is reduced by about 50%.
- New index structure has no compatibility with previous one.
- NLS support using GNU gettext is added.
- Refined configure with autoconf + automake.
- Namazu core search engine library is provided.
- Using File::MMagic perl module for file type detection.
- New filters are added. MS Word, PDF, TeX, etc.
- 2000-02-20: Namazu Web site has been moved!
After this, Official Namazu Web site is
- 2000-02-01: Man page for Namazu 1.3.x is released by contributor.
- 2000-01-26: Namazu 188.8.131.52 released!
Fixed the security hole in CGI mode which
allows a malicious person to put a garbage file on a Web
server's directory such as /tmp.
For searching a great amount of documents quickly, Namazu
makes an index in advance. The concept of index is just
similar to an index of book.
Namazu is being developed by Namazu
Project. Namazu will work on UNIX, Win32 and OS/2
environments. For Win32, you can find Namazu for Win32: a
Full-Text Search Engine page. For OS/2,
OS/2 port of Namazu a full text retrieval search system
is maintained by Shimizu-san. Each page provides binary package also.
Not only with cgi interface of Web, it works on command line as
Other frontends are also available from other sources,
on X Window System
Filters enable namazu to index various formats of files.
Mail/News filter works with no additives, some other type requires
third partie's filter executable although the calling capabilites
included in Namazu package.
Namazu is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
it under the terms of
the GNU General Public License as published by
the Free Software Foundation; either version 2, or (at your option)
any later version (Frequently Asked Questions about the GNU GPL).
Namazu is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See
the GNU General Public License
for more details.
Distributed files are signed by PGP since Namazu 2.0.13.
It is signed by the TADAMASA Teranishi's personal key
(ID: 0x10E7D14E, Key fingerprint = 474E 4D93 8E97 11F6 662D 8A42 17F5 52F4 10E7 D.
You can get the key from
Distributed files are signed by
GnuPG since Namazu 2.0.6.
It is signed by the NOKUBI Takatsugu's personal key (ID: C2CE8099,
fingerprint = BDD7 23BB B724 1FA2 1BB3 2EC0 2BA8 2602 C2CE 8099).
You can get the key from pgp.dtype.org
namazu-2.0.21.tar.gz (1,394,048 byte)
kakasi-2.3.5.tar.gz (about 1.3 MB) (MD5sum: f7fcb348a0fd2025f440615cc8913b24)
- Released versions: Web
Hardware and Network resources are sponsored by
Former hardware and Network resources were sponsored by NetVillage Co.,Ltd.
Copyright (C) 2000-2014 Namazu Project. All rights reserved.
$Id: index.html.en,v 1.107 2014-01-25 21:52:10 opengl2772 Exp $